SketchUp or SketchUp Pro? What's the Deal...27 Oct 2016
SketchUp SketchUp Pro?
A good question to ask yourself before investing nearly $695 USD for a license of SketchUp Pro. Especially since, for many uses, SketchUp (free version) is more than enough .
The differences between the version of SketchUp Free and Pro version become more important with each new version of SketchUp. Buyers of SketchUp Pro license finally have the feeling of paying for something that is not available in SketchUp free. Too bad it’s partly because of the features are removed from the free version, like importing DWG / DXF files.
major differences between SketchUp and SketchUp Pro
SketchUp Pro features:
- import capacity and much larger export including DWG / DXF essential if you work in the field of construction. The available formats allow you to exchange vector data with most CAD software and 3D graphics today.
- Solid tools , appeared in version 8 - These tools perform Boolean operations of union, subtraction, intersection, dividing and cutting solid volumes. Solid tools can save you a lot of time saving the essential cleaning process after the calculation of the sides of intersections.
- creating dynamic components - Dynamic components are components where attributes have been added. These attributes can be additional information (make, model, price, etc.) and spatial relationships (how two component parts are positioned relative to each other) or behavior (eg when moving 'clicking on the component). Note that the dynamic components can be used (but not created) in the free version of SketchUp.
- generating reports (csv or xml format) listing the different attributes of the components in your model . Combined with custom attributes of components, it is for possible to produce a list taking up the brand, model and price of this furniture in your model with calculating the total.
- BIM filing system (including IFC) which opens SketchUp other BIM software.
- the layout software LayOut –
- LayOut allows you, unlike SketchUp to:
- present different views of the same model or more models on the same page, which is impossible in SketchUp;
- create presentations on multiple pages;
- print to scale model views that are not in the orthogonal planes;
- large prints;
- add a cartridge easily;
- add angular dimensions;
- quickly synchronize the views of your layout when changing the original model;
- make dynamic presentations in full screen, like PowerPoint.
- Style Builder that allows you to create a custom and unique style display.
- technical assistance by email.
A professional question?
For architects, its difficult to do without the import and export of DXF or DWG files for trade with the partners involved in a construction project. LayOut and is handy for quickly making an attractive presentation folder with perspective views, elevations, 2D sections and plans from several different models.
For carpenters and trades working in furniture construction, the appearance of Solid tools with version 8 was a good surprise. These tools are very useful for modeling very quickly the parts assemblies . LayOut and can print to scale the production drawings of each piece with a cartridge.